Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Australia...n

Well, I am officially an Australian now. I took the following pledge on 25th January at the Citizenship Ceremony.



About four years back, I was hoping that by the time I become eligible for the Australian Citizenship, Indian Government start dual citizenship. So that I need not relinquish one to get the other. But, of course nothing of that sort happened. And I have to let go my Indian Passport now. What do I feel? Surprisingly nothing!

And that's because I still feel at home in India. I visited it after three years and got used to the chaos, people, traffic instantly and in fact started enjoying it too. So, it doesn't really matter if my passport says that I am not an Indian.

Why Australian then? Within my first year of coming here, I realized that this was home. I live here, I love it here. So, it just makes sense that I share the duties with fellow citizens and get voting rights too.
Happy to be an Australian!

No comments: