Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Grand Plan!


There was a time while evaluating my life, I asked myself, “Am I enjoying the work? Where am I heading to in my career?” The answer to the first question was a definite YES and to the second one was Hmm..NO IDEA. That’s when I decided to sit back and analyse all the options I had. Taking GMAT, doing all the research required for admissions, meanwhile getting another year of experience and then applying to some good B-schools was my plan.

That was precisely the time when he came in my life. We started exchanging e-mails and then phone calls. I was very reluctant to commit to anything first as I thought it might divert my focus from the exam I had planned to take. But, we kept talking anyway and don’t know exactly when I let my guards off. I remember ditching my friends mid way while shopping to be able to be at home and have a good, long chat with him. I became aware of his sensitive side, his witty side and his ability to look at the funny aspect of a serious situation.

My exam was done and our phone bills kept soaring up. I started thinking of ‘our relationship’. I waited for a few weeks, but he seemed to be in no hurry. So, I decided to stir up his emotions, and in our next conversation, I told him that I was working on the list of B-schools I want to apply to. I said I plan to hurry up the process and asked if he had any schools in mind. He very coolly said that I should apply to ‘Harvard’ with my such a good score. And, he went on about how I should work on my application. Normally, I would be happy to hear it from someone, especially if that someone was the one I liked…but, not on that day. Logic was beyond me then, Yes, I was smitten!

After hanging up the phone, I kept thinking that why couldn't he say Melbourne Business School or any other school for that matter, closer to where he was? I thought either guys really don’t understand any hints or he is completely fine with my going to the other side of the world. Well, I was sad and annoyed at the same time. But, my thought process was interrupted by his call. As soon as I picked up the phone, he asked if I planned to start my MBA that year itself. I said, “Yes, why do you ask?” “Because,” he said, “I have a different plan…”

Well, today we enter the fourth year of that plan.

Happy Anniversary, Ritesh!

4 comments:

Richa said...

O wow ! Prads, nice love story. I remember you telling me on phone about your engagement and I was so shocked. Sure times have wings.

Many Many Happy Aniversary to you and Ritesh, May God bless your every dreams :)

Pradnya said...

Thanks Richa... Yes, 3 years to that phone call now:) Don't they say, good times fly while bad times drag. So, I'll be happy to look back one day & say.."Phew, 30 years already"!

Dips said...

hey prads, tht was such a beautiful story! luved to read it..wish u 100s of yrs of togethernes..reading ur blog after a longtime..keep writing dear..u rock!

Pradnya said...

Hey, thanks a lot Dips. Good to have you back!