Friday, August 15, 2008

On the other side of the counter...

With lot of free time at hand, I decided to be a bit adventurous in my job hunt. I thought, let me do something I have never done before but I think will be fun doing.
Shopping has always been a stress-buster for me and apparels -my passion. So, I went to an Australian fashion store to enquire about job opportunities there. I was selected after a couple of interviews as 'consultant' and was required to work for that brand in one of the biggest department stores. It all sounded quite exciting, that is untill I actually started working.
As I started my first day at work, I soon realised that it wasn't as creative as I thought it to be. My work basically was of selling clothes. And that required me to keep standing all day.
Though, I am an ardent shopper myself, I found it difficult to talk people into buying things that they didn't intend to. I soon realized that this isn't the kind of job I would love to do. And, if I continue, I wouldn't do justice to my work.
So, I quit just after 5 days of my employment.
But, in those 5 days I got a chance to know a few local people. One young girl, for whom I had developed liking, had passed her school and moved to Canberra from a small town and joined work here. She told that she too wished to go to the university some day like me but, she had not yet decided what subject she wanted to study and so was doing this job to earn a living.
Then, I met a Chinese woman who loved her job and was very enthusiastic to serve the customers. Though, her English wasn't fluent, she successfully managed to convey her message and was instantly liked by all for her friendliness.
During my short stint at work, I was able to understand the Aussie accent and even picked up a few one liners which obviously would come handy to me. Like , I now ask - "How are you going" when I meet someone instead of -How are you doing? That reminds me of an incident Ritesh told me about. His friend had joined a new job and his boss asked how was he going, to which the simple guy replied -By bus!!! Not his fault...
Bye-byes are difficult for me even if the acquaintance is as short as 5 days. It was over-whelming to see how my co-workers came over and spoke to me when they realised that I had planned not to continue the job. Some of them who knew about my background commented that they had expected it as I was too good for the job.
But, believe me, I left the job, not because I considered it lowly. Infact, I appreciate the way people work there, their enthusiasm and hard-work. But, I was not fit there, it was difficult to connect to that job and I think that it is important to be honest in what we do, to be able to do it properly.
On my way back from work on the last day, sitting in the bus, lost in contemplation, I was going over the conversation which I had with my colleagues again and again. I even started doubting my decision.
When I sighted Ritesh on the bus-stop, waiting to pick me up, I was delighted having realised for the first time that day that I don't need to go back to that work any more.
As I sat in the car , I knew that my decision was right... If I'm so glad at the thought of quitting the job, how can I be happy in continuing it?

1 comment:

Anubhuti said...

oh man !! you have really grown up ... at least in writing ;)